WELCOME to Winkie's Kitty Cat Blog

Welcome to Winkie's Kitty Cat Blog!



Winkie’s Kitty Cat Blog was created by David McIntire for the kitty cat lovers of the world, and, is meant to serve as an outlet for those of you who may have photos, or, a short story of your little furry friends that you would like to share, and have added to the Kitty Cat Blog.
Also, the Kitty Cat Blog will have articles posted that are related to the things that concern kitty cats such as “How To Tips” on caring for our little friends.

If any of the readers of this blog have unusual, interesting, beautiful, or, just good photos of your kitty cats, along with a good short story, that you would like to share, please contact David McIntire at: david@davidmcintire.com and we will contact you as soon as possible to make arrangements to add your content to the Kitty Cat Blog. Adding your photos, stories, and comments to the Kitty Cat Blog is “Free”.

We reserve the right to post, or not to post any content that is submitted to this blog. Also we reserve the right to delete any content that has been posted on this blog as we see fit. You will retrain any copyrights that you may have to your submitted materials.

Come, and “Join In". Feel free to submit your kitty cat photos, your comments, or, your short kitty cat stories, (fact or, fiction) and if we like them, we will post them.

Let’s have some fun.


DavidMcIntire







Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dec 11, "The Duchess"

by K Warn
(NY)

I moved into an apartment by myself this year and decided I wanted to get some sort of pet just not a dog. I almost got a parakeet but I like 'the Duchess' much better. I had told my friends and family I wanted a pet when someone told me they found a litter of 10 week old kitten in their backyard and I could have one.

I took the Duchess home and did a little research. She was actually around four weeks old and had fleas all over her. I gave her a bathed her everyday and picked off the fleas until they were all gone.

My research told me my little kitty wasn't old enough for traditional flea treatment. After a vet check and a clean bill of health (thanks to my free de-flea job prior to visiting the vet ;)she was all set to be happy in my home.

But - she wasn't. The little girl was terrified of everything. At first I accounted it to her being feral but, I now believe she was just so young and I didn't know that until a few weeks after. After about a month of intensely hard taming she became friendly and comfortable with me. But when visitors would come and she would dart under the couch for the entire time they stayed. I continued my research intent on bonding with my cat and making this work.

I figured out that she is some kind of mix of an egyptian mau (maybe a domestic short hair because she is white with tabby spots.)Although I've read the mau is rare, the more I read about the breed the more I conclude she is. She has little dots in her tabby spots. I noticed from day one that they were not striped like all other tabbies I've seen. When I first got her she had blue eyes and with in 2 to 3 weeks she developed amber eyes but she still has a blue-green ring between her pupil and her amber color.

Like a egytian mau she is also very shy when I began reading this and about the cats loyalty to their owner I was thrilled! So optimistic that with time my kitty would love me which is all I wanted. Now almost 2 months after I first got 'the Duchess' she is my best friend.

She sleeps with me from midnight until when ever I wake up and for a college student that could be any where from 8 or 12 am. But 'the Duchess' has slept until 2 in the afternoon with me as long as I feed her her breakfast in the morning. If I don't go to sleep with her by 1 am though, she will be passed out in bed waiting for me. She is also super playful and I love how although it seems like she's trying to hurt me when she play fights she's really not.

I've had enough dogs to know puppies control their bites when they play-fight with you but they won't bite as hard as they can. I've noticed 'the Duchess' controls her bites too when shes wrestling my hand and I'm giving her tummy tickles.

At first I was worried 'the Duchess' was feral and shy because she didn't like it in my apartment with me. Then I found out that's just the kind of cat she is and thats ok. She makes it perfectly obvious to me that she wouldn't want to be any where else. And that's why I know I chose the right cat.


View the original article here

No comments: